We are currently seeking favorite recipes for our recipe pages.
Send recipes to
(Photos of the recipe can be included as an attachment in
Baked Rice with Cheese and Green Chilies
Serves 6 or more
In this Southwestern casserole, the chilies and cilantro lend a marvelous flavor to an otherwise simple casserole.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups cooked brown rice (from about 1 1/2 cups raw)
- 8 ounces grated organic cheddar cheese or cheddar-style soy cheese
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese, preferably organic
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced, or one to two 4-ounce cans chopped mild green chilies
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the onion and sauté over low heat until lightly browned.
In a mixing bowl, combine the onion with the rice and all the remaining ingredients. Stir together thoroughly. Pour the mixture into a lightly oiled, 1 1/2-quart baking casserole. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and bubbly.
Courtesy of Nava Atlas, In a Vegitarian Kitchen (vegkitchen.com)